Friday, January 27, 2006

Getting *ed by windows explorer

Here is another reason I'm migrating to Debian: I just clicked on a directory in Windows Explorer, and it took about a month to open. Why is that?! Honestly, here are the stats:

  • age of computer: < 1 month
  • size of computer: Pentium 3.2GHz 2Gb RAM (sounds big to me)
  • operating system: brand new fresh Windows 2003 Server
  • time it takes to display a directory in Windows Explorer: 1 minute
  • for comparison, time it takes Word to open: 2 seconds

I think you can see, from the last two stats especially, that there is something seriously funny going on with Windows Explorer. I don't have complaints about the rest of the applications, which for the most part are impeccable. I especially like how fast the Office applications start. But why does the simple operation of browsing my directories take an ice age?

In Debian, I am looking for a system that will tell me clearly why these things are happening. I know there's a reason, and I want the tools to find it. Without those tools, my work must cohabit with a nagging feeling that my computer is slewing off on paths off on which I have not authorised it to slough!

Comments: Post a Comment

Inforotica

Books

McDonald's

Oblivio

Yugop